Friday, November 14, 2008

With so much balance, am I wrong to long for a little upset?

A year ago I slept alone an increasing number of nights per week. My thoughts at work were dominated with project details, so as to escape the emotional trauma that was my life at home. I've worked hard to construct a stable, balanced and rewarding life since that time -- but I am missing something.

I date, albeit men who I've carefully reviewed, evaluating each person's potential as a mate (ok, there were some I dated just because they were hot -- judge me if you must.) During points in my past I've been less careful (dare I say "careless") about the men I date, inviting those who are fun, spontaneous, energetic, youthful in age and in spirit and yes, even those who love a good martini as much as me. But lately, not so much.

I have joy, energy, life and excitement, but I notice it associated with more common and frequent activities than a year ago. I am not complaining -- I love that I am thrilled that the dog's stool is firm; the stock price high; happy hour is nearing, and the next big project just around the corner. However, I am struggling with replacing some of the more romanticized details of my past life.

The holidays are such a cliché time to mention that you are lonely, or that you find attending the ritualistic celebrations of the season solo causes your heart to cramp like mine. Well, I am BIG on clichés (and metaphors for that matter.)

Although I feel like I am a team of one, I am surrounded by some of the finest people I've ever known. Some old characters have made recent appearances as the trusted & good friends I knew them to be. Thank God.

I guess all I am saying is this -- my feet get as cold as my heart gets lonely at night, not just this Winter, but all the way back to Spring. I get it -- I am supposed to be alone for the time being. I am cool with that and can handle the lessons life has to teach me.

I remember not too long ago trying desperately to ignore these lessons and let me just be honest with you -- you'll go further if you pay attention to the subtle signals life sends you on a daily basis.

No comments: