Friday, November 14, 2008

Favorites

More and more often I find myself coming across certain experiences, smells, tastes, feelings and other experiences that bring me comfort, or that could be considered "my favorites." Each time I come across such an experience, I think to myself, "I should really keep a list of these things so I can refer back to them." So, this is the list. It'll grow as I think of new things.

1) The sound of the sigh my dog makes just before he falls asleep.

2) The smell of previously dry pavement having just been rained on.

3) The smell of new leather.

4) The feeling I get when I've cleaned-out my email inbox.

5) Two cosmos. Two people and a couch.

6) The sense of adventure I get when I start a new book.

7) The sense of accomplishment I get when I finish a book.

8) The excitement I feel when I meet a new friend.

9) Knowing a person well enough to know their flaws, and love them deeper because of them.

10) The feeling I get when I am finally unpacked in a hotel room & have arranged the furniture.

11) The excitement my puppy shows me when I return home.

12) Any child's laugh.

13) Anyone who sings to their dog.

14) The smell of tomato vines.

15) Green olives, especially in martinis.

16) Innocence in any person, young or old.

17) Life experience in any person.

18) A child's perspective.

19) Gum-ball machines

20) Kissing someone who knows how to kiss back.

21) The feeling I get when surrounded by friends and I realize that the moment we're in will soon become a favorite memory.

22) They way most of my friends make fun of dance music, but are the first to dart to the dance floor when we're out.

23) Trips to Home Depot and resulting projects which go as expected. The ones which don't do not make this list.

24) The smell of wood-burning fireplaces, only after dark and while walking down damp, leaf-lined sidewalks.

25) The smell of grilled cheese for dinner.

26) Making pot roast -- buying the ingredients, preparing them, eating them -- you name it.

27) Anytime a child uses the term "pet'ed" as in "Does your dog like being pet'ed?"

28) When cookies come out of the box stuck together -- that only counts as one!

No comments: