Friday, November 14, 2008

And then there was me

Three years and three months ago Toby and I moved into the house on 57th. My brother Dave moved in with me and my ex. The ex moved out not too long after. Jess, Dave's girlfriend, moved in (upstairs) with Dave. We lived together for nearly two years before they moved into a new house in Albany, OR. I miss them.

Last Summer Jesse moved in with me. It was just a temporary thing until she was due to leave for Spain, which happens tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Goodbye seƱora Hermosa!

I didn't love everything about you all, but I did like coming home to a house that was alive with light, the smell of food, a recent shower, hairspray, freshly sanded wood, perfume, or my cologne sprayed on another. I didn't mind too much that a car was in the driveway, or if the heat was turned up to 75. The dishes in the sink or piled across the counter don't bother me now. The LONG girl hairs stuck in the corner of the room don't make me want to scream anymore. I miss finding the occasional baby doll t-shirt mixed in with my laundry and laughing that it was too small to fold. I don't miss the panties -- sorry ladies. I do miss a bottle of wine shared on a summer afternoon in the garden planted as a present for my birthday. I will always miss the smart debate over environmental issues with you. As for you, I loved your bright spirit and your cheerful voice, even when you were seconds away from crying as I hugged you. Your smile is stunning.

I guess what I am trying to say is, goodbye. I care for each of you. You've sought out what life has in store for you. Thankfully, my soul has remained planted here in Southeast Portland, even as I've explored the world, changed jobs, grew up and most importantly, found love.

My roots are here in the shadow of Mt. Tabor, walking the paved streets dusted with sweet pine needles on a 90 degree day in summer with my dog, or moving downhill over slippery mud trails in the wet winter trying to stay fit.

So for now, it's just me and Toby. It's a big house for just us, but we're learning to love the new space and making the house on 57th even more comfortable for us and for Danny when he's able to break from his school/work routine.

May this house forever be filled with good food, laughter and love.

No comments: