Friday, November 14, 2008

Lose yourself, find yourself

Life's been a little nuts since the holidays. Work has demanded a lot of me, so has home. The stress of the holidays seemed to spill over into the New Year, now almost five months old. With this last week came the pinnacle of my stress, and by week's end, I was emotionally exhausted.

Then it came, the March of Dimes Walkamerica Event. I woke up this morning, excited that four months of fund raising was about to pay-off. $790 raised for the research and prevention of premature births. I put on my Kaiser Permanente Pre-Term Birth Unit team shirt ("I am pro antioxidant") and was out the door. I stood in line to register, and watched the young families all around me. Strollers, backpacks, toddlers, teenagers, grandmas, grandpas, and babies lost to premature birth pictured on the t-shirts of the loved ones they left behind. It's a very moving event; I highly suggest you attend next year.

After meeting my teammates, we took a group picture. Then, I was pulled aside. At first I was worried as the only non Kaiser employee and shy (stop laughing), but was told that I'd raised the most money and the Kaiser staff wanted my picture. That felt good, real good.

My very good friend Tracey asked if she could walk with me. Two years ago, Tracey gave birth to premature twins, Tyler (girl) and Garrett (boy). I turned right, and there she stood -- tall, blond, tan and cuter than ever. The twins were tethered into their jogging stroller and seemed quite pleased to be entering the Rose Quarter at the same time as the marching band.

We walked the entire 10k, or roughly 7 miles. Tracey and I got caught up while Tyler and Garrett dined on fruit snacks and bee cookies. I missed Tracey -- she's a wise woman who knows me quite well. In just 7 miles, we had most of my life sorted-out and some of her life too. ; )

After the event, we jumped across the river to lunch at Manzana. I was sad when we had to say goodbye, but know I'll see them again soon.

What was lost was now found, and a small part of my heart put back in place.

No comments: