Friday, November 14, 2008

Bad news: I didn't win the Mr. Gay Latino Pageant

Well, I guess in order to win, one must compete? Obviously, I wasn't eligible. However, I was lucky enough to be invited to judge the Mr. Gay Latino competition last night at Darcelle XV's Showplace, Portland's most well-known female impersonation club in Old Town -- "Where both the ladies and the drinks are strong!"

What a blast! The pageant was very colorful and action-packed. Contestants competed in four categories: Presentation, Swim Suit, Talent and Evening Attire. The boys all showed quite well -- it was a very close competition.

I sat on the judges panel with Michael, Ms. Pebbles Campbell Star (in purple dress in my pics) and my very dear friend Monica. Mon (for those of you who don't know) works for Multnomah County Health Department and does very important work in HIV field testing, education and other prevention efforts. I love here dearly -- for the woman she is and the work she does.

Thanks to Mon for thinking of me, and to David who coordinates the pageant -- both are so rich in character, you can't help but fall victim to their supper-strong Latin love tractor beam.

Looking forward to next year!

No comments: